openejb-users mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: HOWTO OpenEJB and HSqlDB
Date Sat, 02 Dec 2006 23:47:29 GMT

On Dec 2, 2006, at 2:57 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> Hi Per, the data you've posted helps quite a bit.  I think I have
> your answer....
>
> On Dec 2, 2006, at 12:55 AM, Per Newgro wrote:
>
>> I get the following exception
>> javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: Name "java:/APPLDB" not found.
>>         at
>> org.openejb.core.ivm.naming.IvmContext.federate(IvmContext.java:184)
>>         at org.openejb.core.ivm.naming.IvmContext.lookup
>> (IvmContext.java:147)
>>         at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:
>> 351)
>>
>> if i do the following:
>> DataSource db = (DataSource) myInitialContext.lookup("java:/APPLDB");

Just a note on what I mention in my previous email below.  The reason
"java:/APPLDB" works in JBoss is they are letting you lookup a
datasource you haven't declared a reference to in your ejb-jar.xml.
This is completely against the spec and results in non-portable
apps.  I will note you can do this OpenEJB too -- we're not the kind
to tell you what you can and can't do.  The name you use to lookup a
non-declared datasource is:

  new InitialContext().lookup("java:openejb/connector/Default JDBC
Database");

or in your case:

  new InitialContext().lookup("java:openejb/connector/APPLDB");

So we do support this non-standard practice, but we put it under
"java:openejb" so you are absolutely aware you are using a vendor
specific feature, rather than putting them at "java:/APPLDB" which
someone who doesn't read the spec everyday would totally think is a
fine, portable, thing to do when in fact it's a vendor lock-in.

We don't really encourage people to use it as there's little upside
in it for you, but it is supported.  You'll notice that the path
"openejb/connector/[ConnectorName]" also matches the exact xml
structure of the openejb configuration file:

  <openejb>
    <Connector id="APPLDB">

You can actually lookup a number of things from the "java:openejb"
namespace, though we don't advertise it or really encourage it.  But
you can if you like :)

-David