openejb-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <>
Subject Re: javaee api jar/bundle questions
Date Sat, 02 Apr 2011 19:23:26 GMT

On Mar 6, 2011, at 3:52 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2011, at 12:52 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>> Hi,
>> What would people think of using the maven-bundle-plugin to assemble the javaee-api
jar instead of the shade plugin?  I think the main difference would be that the export packages
would be generated by bnd from those in the included bundles so we wouldn't have to maintain
>> Also, currently the javax.transaction* packages are exported at version 5.0, as of
rev 829242.  Since the geronimo spec jar exports at version 1.1 this makes me wonder how this
all works together.  Anyone know anything about this?
>> In general I find myself wondering why jar packaging is used with bnd manifest generation
rather than bundle packaging.
> I've always just taken it on faith that whatever is there OSGi-wise works for whoever
put it there.  Some of the time I wonder if it actually does work at all and if what is there
actually just falls into the "it stops the errors" category, which is not quite the same as
> Anyway, I'm not sure what is involved in the tradeoff.
> I assume the resulting jar could still be consumed by non-OSGi environments as a plain
"<type>jar</type>" dependency?

Looks like the maven-bundle-plugin creates "incorrect" poms. i.e. it doesn't trim the bundled
dependencies out of the published pom like it should.

Switched us back to the shade plugin for now.  If anyone can figure out how to get the resulting
pom to be accurate with the maven-bundle-plugin, go for it.

View raw message