openejb-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject More fine grained undeploy (Fwd: Override Porvider property via system properties)
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2009 23:59:05 GMT
Just a side note if someone is looking for something to work on.

When an application fails to deploy, we don't really know how much
work we've done in the assembler.creatApplication phase, so as a
result we try and undo everything.  That of course results in a lot of
exceptions saying that we couldn't cleanly undeploy the application.
Notice how many items are in the undeploy exception before we finally
get to the real exception which is this:

ERROR - Application could not be deployed:  classpath.ear
org.apache.openejb.OpenEJBException: Creating application failed:
classpath.ear: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.hibernate.ejb.HibernatePersistence:
org.hibernate.ejb.HibernatePersistence
    at
org
.apache
.openejb.assembler.classic.Assembler.createApplication(Assembler.java:
666)
    at
org
.apache
.openejb.assembler.classic.Assembler.createApplication(Assembler.java:
449)
    at
org
.apache
.openejb
.assembler.classic.Assembler.buildContainerSystem(Assembler.java:367)
    at
org.apache.openejb.assembler.classic.Assembler.build(Assembler.java:279)

We could do something simple and put an object on the thread in the
createApplication method that records the steps we've taken; maybe
stuff it full of enum values -- or even better, just remember the last
enum value as there is an order to them and we could assume all
previous steps were done.  Then in destroyApplication we can check for
it and use it to only know how far to go in our destroy logic.

Added a JIRA for it:  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENEJB-1101

-David

Begin forwarded message: