openejb-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Resolve datasource from the application name
Date Fri, 20 Nov 2009 21:57:55 GMT

On Nov 19, 2009, at 3:46 AM, Luis Fernando Planella Gonzalez wrote:

> I'd love to keep helping on this issue...
> However I have an imminent issue: My daughter will be born on
> saturday, so
> I'll be off for a week or so.
> Afterwards, we can resume the subject.

Wow!  Congratulations!  A week or so?  Guessing this is not your first
kid, you sound like a pro!

> Anyway, that algorithm should be used only when neither
> jtaDataSource nor
> nonJtaDataSource are used, right? At least for what I saw in code,
> it's
> possible to have only nonJtaDataSource (making a new jta datasource
> to be
> deployed).

Yeah, I'm not sure.  I'd have to take a look at our current
"fanciness" and see what makes the most sense.  We'd want this sort of
"matching loop" to work for resolving any resource ID, so that might
change how we code it.

> So, my guess would be to make the chunk of code I added to deploy(app,
> persistenceModule) a private method, let's say,
> locateDataSource(id), which
> would look for a jta data source with that name, then a non-jta,
> then an
> unespecified.
>
> So, could it be something like:
> * if explicit datasources are used, use them
> * if neither jta-data-source nor non-jta-data-source, try to guess:
> *** try locateDataSource(persitenceUnit.getName())
> *** if not found, try
> locateDataSource(persistenceModule.getModuleId()) // Is
> it really necessary? As I saw, PersistenceModule.getModuleId() is
> always null
> *** if not found, for each WebModule try
> locateDataSource(webModule.getContextRoot())

Wasn't referring to the PersistenceModule.getModuleId(), but the
module in which the persistence unit was found.  *Most* the time the
persistence.xml is inside an ejb jar or webapp.  We don't retain that
information when we create the PersistenceModule now, but we could
maybe link it to the EjbModule or WebModule if it was.  But we can add
that as a separate step.

Definitely we would want this as some sort of loop of strings to check
rather than as a bunch of nested if statements.  Then the same logical
routine could work for resolving any resource ref.  For a plain
resource ref the list of strings might be something like this:

   1. mappedName
   2. jndi name
   3. variable name
   4. module name
   5. app name

Thinking out loud of course, the code might disagree with me :)  Some
ideas sound really good and then turn out to be too much work given
the code.

-David