openejb-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Gallimore <jonathan.gallim...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Eclipse Plugin Alpha 1
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2009 23:39:34 GMT
On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Jacek Laskowski <jacek@laskowski.net.pl>wrote:

> That's indeed a very useful screencast and I'm going to combine it
> with the work around OSGi if you don't mind for the upcoming Eclipse
> DemoCamp sessions in Poland (Warszawa and Wroclaw). I'm going to show
> what it is to work with EJBs with the OpenEJB Eclipse plugin (the
> Eclipse part plus OpenEJB/EJB3) and then show how to move on running
> exactly the same EJB as a bundle and look it up from another one (with
> Eclipse Equinox). It's gonna be a killer session! :) Thanks Jonathan.

I'm so thrilled that you guys like the plugin and the video, and its great
that you're going to use it in your sessions. I really hope your sessions go
well, please do tell us how it goes!

> Two things I'd like to get corrected at some point:
>
> 1. The version of OpenEJB provided by the plugin is 3.0.0. That's what
> it shows up in the project libraries. I'm pretty sure people will ask
> about it and why it's not 3.1.2 or 3.1.1 at the very least.

You're right. I was thinking changing it to just "OpenEJB 3" would probably
be best - it uses whatever client jars are in your server installation, so
it should work with any 3.x.x version.

> 2. The ejb-jar.xml file was discussed and I'd change the wording to
> say it's not necessary at all and explain why it is in the project. It
> boosts the search for EJBs in the classpath and otherwise would
> require changes to the way OpenEJB searches it (with include/exclude
> env properties).

I agree.

> Could you also describe the recording process? What tools did you use?
> I'm going to record some presentations myself and don't know what
> tooling I'll have to use for it. I've been told that audacity is to
> correct a sound, but what about the really useful white circle you
> used in your screencast to draw attention? Did you just record it all
> at once without any adjustments to the sound and video. It ended up
> really awesome and you kept your voice on a proper level which made
> watching the screencast very pleasant. I'd love doing alike with my
> first screencast. Share as much tips and tricks as possible.

As David has already mentioned, the software I used is called ScreenFlow (
http://www.telestream.net/screen-flow/overview.htm), and as long as we say
that we used ScreenFlow to create our screencasts, they have agreed that we
can use it for free. I hadn't used it before, but I was really impressed
with it. The site hosting the video is Vimeo, which again, I've not come
across before, but seems to do an excellent job of taking the .mov file
ScreenFlow produces, and seems to embed really well in the blog. Again, we
have an OpenEJB account, and either myself or David can let you have the
details.

In terms of the process itself, the actual screencast was recorded as one
complete video, I didn't do little sections and stitch them together or
anything like that. The only editing I did after recording was to add the
various zooms and mouse cursor highlights, which are nifty features of
ScreenFlow.

The actual recording itself took about 10 attempts, because I messed various
things up (and once my wife interupted asking where the cup of tea I
promised her was...) - I don't know if there's a feature to edit things like
that, I just found it easier to start again.

I think I got lucky with the sound, its not something I paid to much
attention to when I was recording it. I was an Intel iMac, just using the
built in microphone above the screen. I think there's something in
ScreenFlow to get the volume correct doing some kind of sound check before
recording the video - I actually recorded it a while back, so I can't
remember. The only problem I really had was trying not saying 'er' and 'um',
which I now realise is something I do a lot :) - by the time I was on the
10th go I had got a bit better.

I later discovered you can also video yourself while recording the
screencast, so next time I make one, I'll add that as well.

Jon