openejb-dev mailing list archives

From Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>
Subject Further actions for OSGi'fication
Date Mon, 19 Oct 2009 11:21:41 GMT
Hi,

I have given much thought of what's necessary to be able to deploy an
ejb to openejb as osgi-based ejb container and access it from another
osgi bundle (a ejb client) and here is what I came up with.

We need a bundle - let's call it openejb-osgi-deployer - that will
listen to starting events so when an ejb (regular ejb jar file with
some manifest changes + META-INF/ejb-jar.xml) is started (aka
deployed) it will get noticed. The o-o-deployer will do what's
necessary from openejb's PoV and register OSGi services for each ejb
bean - both, the remote and local interface. That's the server's part.

>From the client's PoV we'll need another JNDI initial context factory
- possibly in a openejb-osgi-client bundle - so instead of booting up
openejb (local initialcontext) or connecting to a port (remote
initialcontext) it will look up necessary interfaces in OSGi Service
Registry. All beans will get registered in the registry during
deployment via o-o-deployer as described earlier.

I'm doing a first prototype and am wondering where I should place the
interim work. I'm not going to touch any part of the codebase so it
ought to be as little disruptive to what we've got so far as possible
(if at all visible). I've been wondering if I should create a osgi
directory where the bundles will have their maven projects or pick
another directory?

I'm going to create a series of JIRA tasks so we can track the
progress of the openejb osgification.

Comments?

Jacek

--