openejb-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why is there still a CORBA module in OPENEJB?
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2008 20:54:35 GMT
Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> On Apr 14, 2008, at 7:33 AM, Rick McGuire wrote:
>> It's been a while since I've done much building of OpenEJB, but I was
>> surprised to see that there was a CORBA component showing up in the
>> reactor summary.  There doesn't appear to be anything actually IN
>> that component.  Am I missing something here, or is this just a bit
>> obsolete crud leftover from openejb2?
>
> I'm not sure.  It could be cuft or a some adapter code that geronimo
> calls (webservices work that way).  I think you are the only one
> qualified to make that call.
Currently, there's no code in this module at all!  The built jar file is
essentially just the generated license and notices file.

> BTW, I would like to move all of the Corba code to OpenEJB so we users
> can use it in embedded testing mode.  Actually, I think the only user
> of the Corba code in G is OpenEJB so it seems fail that we make it the
> OpenEJB project's responsibility to maintain that code.
Interesting....I had the very same thought this morning.  There are a
several bits to the CORBA code, mostly in the form of GBeans for
configuring the server deployment of the ORBs and POAs used to publish
the EJBs as CORBA objects.  Most of that code is highly GBean-specific.
Once all of that is dispensed with, you're left with the servant code
that provides the mappings between the CORBA world and the EJB world.
If you strip out the need for full CSIv2 support (including SSL
transport support), what's left could probably work portably with any
ORB implementation.

Rick