openaz-dev mailing list archives

From David Ash <green.n...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: No report?
Date Sun, 10 Jul 2016 17:14:47 GMT
I think the retirement talks should resume.

What little steam I had three months ago for keeping it alive is gone.  We
lost momentum more quickly than we gained it.  I had quickly lost the two
other volunteers I brought on (within days).  And I have not managed to get
any additional individuals interested.  Without significantly more people,
it's not viable.  I also don't think I ever got the commit status I had
applied for (or at least I never got a reply to my question regarding that
status).  But I also never performed any significant work that went
uncommitted, so I'd like to avoid that being an excuse for my own
shortcomings.  I feel like losing momentum and having an exceptionally busy
schedule (even for me) was more to blame there -- I spent two weeks in
Japan, and have been working 16-hour days finishing a project that I will
be demonstrating at an MIT symposium in the near future.  Those are great
things for me personally, but have not been good for my involvement in
OpenAz.

Further, it has become apparent that Apache is not the right kind of
organization for me or this project.  It seems to be a process-heavy,
patience-driven, slow-and-steady wins the race kind of approach geared
toward maximizing small amounts of work by large numbers of people across
the globe.  Although I recognize the value of that approach, I feel like it
is geared more toward developing software that is either 1) In high demand
(and will thus have numerous volunteers); 2) Already quite mature (ready
for its first release on the first day of incubation); or 3) Has a small,
tightly-knit team largely working outside the Apache process but following
just enough of the rules to stay alive until the popularity catches on or
it has become mature enough for natural survival.

My preferred approach is on the Kanban side of Agile: process-light,
informal, momentum-driven development with minimal oversight, release early
and often, with tight feedback loops everywhere, and real-time
communications between a very small number of highly-dedicated developers.
That's the startup methodology, and I feel like it is better geared toward
bringing new things to market.  I can also understand and respect why it
might not be the best general methodology for Apache, and with their track
record I could hardly say they're "doing it wrong."  But I don't think it's
for me.

I still hope the project can somehow survive, but I won't be part of it.
Good luck to everyone in their projects, present and future.  I wish you
all success in your ventures.

Thanks!

David Ash