openaz-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: No report?
Date Sun, 10 Jul 2016 22:48:05 GMT
Le 10/07/16 à 19:14, David Ash a écrit :
> I think the retirement talks should resume.
>
> What little steam I had three months ago for keeping it alive is gone.  We
> lost momentum more quickly than we gained it.  I had quickly lost the two
> other volunteers I brought on (within days).  And I have not managed to get
> any additional individuals interested.  Without significantly more people,
> it's not viable.  I also don't think I ever got the commit status I had
> applied for (or at least I never got a reply to my question regarding that
> status).  But I also never performed any significant work that went
> uncommitted, so I'd like to avoid that being an excuse for my own
> shortcomings.  I feel like losing momentum and having an exceptionally busy
> schedule (even for me) was more to blame there -- I spent two weeks in
> Japan, and have been working 16-hour days finishing a project that I will
> be demonstrating at an MIT symposium in the near future.  Those are great
> things for me personally, but have not been good for my involvement in
> OpenAz.
>
> Further, it has become apparent that Apache is not the right kind of
> organization for me or this project.  It seems to be a process-heavy,
> patience-driven, slow-and-steady wins the race kind of approach geared
> toward maximizing small amounts of work by large numbers of people across
> the globe.  Although I recognize the value of that approach, I feel like it
> is geared more toward developing software that is either 1) In high demand
> (and will thus have numerous volunteers); 2) Already quite mature (ready
> for its first release on the first day of incubation); or 3) Has a small,
> tightly-knit team largely working outside the Apache process but following
> just enough of the rules to stay alive until the popularity catches on or
> it has become mature enough for natural survival.
>
> My preferred approach is on the Kanban side of Agile: process-light,
> informal, momentum-driven development with minimal oversight, release early
> and often, with tight feedback loops everywhere, and real-time
> communications between a very small number of highly-dedicated developers.
> That's the startup methodology, and I feel like it is better geared toward
> bringing new things to market.  I can also understand and respect why it
> might not be the best general methodology for Apache, and with their track
> record I could hardly say they're "doing it wrong."  But I don't think it's
> for me.
>
> I still hope the project can somehow survive, but I won't be part of it.
> Good luck to everyone in their projects, present and future.  I wish you
> all success in your ventures.

David,

many thanks for your efforts in the past few months. Not every projects
survive the Incubator period, and actually, this is the exact reason why
we have an incubator at the ASF.

Gathering new people to get the project kicking, and making it a TLP is
a tough thing. It takes time, energy, generates some frustration. Don't
blame yourself for anything, it's just that OpenAZ was not mature enough
to get traction, despite the efforts being put in it.

It can't be a one-man effort though, for the exact reasons you listed :
just because you were unable to participate for a few weeks demonstrated
that you were the only one ready to put some energy on the project,
making it non viable in the long run.

At least, you tried.

If anyone likes to fork it somewhere else, it's always a possibility :
the code won't disappear from The ASF repository. There are plenty of
other possibilities.

thanks !