oodt-dev mailing list archives

From "Cinquini, Luca (398G)" <Luca.Cinqu...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: Docker and Oracle License Agreement
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2017 16:28:10 GMT
Hi Sean,
	here it is:

https://store.docker.com/community/images/oodthub/oodt-node <https://store.docker.com/community/images/oodthub/oodt-node>

Maybe I should mention that these images were created as part of a project to run OODT in
a scalable architecture on the Cloud… We never really meant to generate a completely generic
Docker version of the full OODT distribution. For example, the FM is always built with the
Solr back-end. There was no attempt of generality here, rather we wanted to build a specific
architecture that could be reused across NASA missions.

thanks, L

> On Nov 9, 2017, at 8:43 AM, Sean Kelly <kelly@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks, Luca.
>
> For the short term, please go ahead and add the warning like on [1] that using the image
= agreeing to Oracle's license.

> Another issue that we should address is the size of the image:
>
> alpine               latest           76da55c8019d        8 weeks ago         3.97MB
> nutjob4life/catpics  latest           de30a9f84796        6 weeks ago         57.4MB
> lwieske/java-8       jdk-8u131-slim   326f0b00e419        4 months ago        164MB
> python               2.7-slim         451c85955bc2        3 months ago        182MB
> plone                latest           e9918460c2e8        9 months ago        424MB
> oodthub/oodt-node    latest           cac1bf988d5d        3 months ago        1.38GB
>
> 1.38 *giga* bytes! I'm going to wager you're not using a multi-stage build here because
that's enormous. Once you commit the Dockerfile we can work together to see if we can trim
it down a bit.

> Take care
> --k
>

>> Cinquini, Luca (398G) <mailto:Luca.Cinquini@jpl.nasa.gov <mailto:Luca.Cinquini@jpl.nasa.gov>>
>> 2017-11-8 at 1.41 p
>> Hi Sean,
>> I am afraid I am responsible for creating those images :)…
>>
>> Chris asked me already to move them to the official Apache repo, which is on my list
of things to do.
>> In the past, openJDK gave me problem when using some advanced SSL features, like
certificate authentication - not sure if that is the case any more.
>> I think we could start with your proposal [1] and then possibly implement [3].
>>
>> BTW all these images are based on OODT-1.0, and contain only a few core services
(File Manager, Workflow Manager, Crawler).