oodt-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Kelly <ke...@apache.org>
Subject Docker and Oracle License Agreement
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2017 19:33:23 GMT
Hi folks:

I'm playing more and more with Docker and happily discovered that
there's already an OODT presence on the Docker Store [1].

So I pulled the oodt-node image [2] and looked inside ("docker history
--no-trunc") and saw that one of the steps performed is:

/bin/sh -c wget --no-cookies --no-check-certificate --header "Cookie:
oraclelicense=accept-securebackup-cookie"     -O
/tmp/jdk-8-linux-x64.rpm
"http://download.oracle.com/otn-pub/java/jdk/${JAVA_VERSION}-${JAVA_BUILD_VERSION}/d54c1d3a095b4ff2b6607d096fa80163/jdk-${JAVA_VERSION}-linux-x64.rpm"

What stands out is the cookie.

My fear is that using this image effectively makes the user accept
Oracle's license agreement for Java but in no way notifies the user this
is happening.

Could we at least update the page at [1] to warn users, similar to the
way this unofficial Java 8 image does it [3]? Or even better, try OpenJDK?

--Sean

[1] https://store.docker.com/profiles/oodthub
[2] https://store.docker.com/community/images/oodthub/oodt-node
[3] https://store.docker.com/community/images/lwieske/java-8