oodt-dev mailing list archives

From Imesha Sudasingha <imesha...@cse.mrt.ac.lk>
Subject [GSoC 2017] Distributed Configuration Management - Discussion
Date Sat, 10 Jun 2017 07:25:22 GMT
Hi Tom,

I have started going through the code in deep in order to continue
distributed configuration manager development. Following are some
approaches that came to my mind and few questions I need to get clarified.

As I understand, all 3 major components (Resource Manager, File Manager and
the Workflow Manager) *use several other files (ex: xml files located at
policy/*)* which are used for additional configuration (ex: for mime type
repository). However, all those file locations are found through properties
in the *.properties* file at runtime. When implementing distributed
configuration management, I have two options.

   1. *Assuming that all such files are the same for all nodes*, ask users
   to copy the same OODT distribution files to all nodes when setting up the
   cluster. This assumes only the *.properties* file will have node
   specific configuration.
   2. Otherwise, If I am allowed to write to */policy/** directory, I can
   download those files from zookeeper and make them available for each node
   at runtime.

The problems I have at the moment are,

   1. Whether my assumption in *suggestion 1 above* is correct?
   2. Are there any node specific configurations in *.properties* files of
   any component?

Can you kindly review my suggestions and help me clarify ambiguities I
have? Your suggestions are also welcome.

Thank you!

Kind Regards,
*Imesha Sudasingha*
Undergraduate of Department of Computer Science and  Engineering,
University of Moratuwa,
Sri Lanka.

<https://lk.linkedin.com/in/imeshasudasingha>  <https://github.com/IMS94>
<http://stackoverflow.com/users/4012073/imesha-sudasingha>