oodt-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Barber <magicaltr...@apache.org>
Subject [REPORT] Apache OODT - December 2016
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2016 14:46:37 GMT
DESCRIPTION

Apache OODT is a software framework as well as an architectural style for
the
rapid construction of scientific data systems.  It provides components for
data capture, curation, metadata extraction, workflow management, resource
management, and data processing.

RELEASES/DEVELOPMENT

- Last release was 1.0 on Wed Jun 29 2016

We resolved 0 issues for this release.

We finally reached a point in the platform lifecycle which made sense to
release Apache OODT as 1.0. This was done both to signify the stability of
what we had but also allow us to prepare for major changes coming in the
next major release cycle to modernise the platform and extend what was
already in place. These changes will be API breaking and as such we wanted
to signify this in the release versioning.

It was asked in last months meeting to keep the board updated with regards
to driving adoption. To this end this month we have switched our website
from Apache CMS to gitsubpub and Jekyll to ease the updating process. Along
the website has tried to reduce the science centric focus and add more
business use case type content. This will be an ongoing process as we get
time to add more content to aid potential users in understanding how OODT
can help them. Tom also gave an OODT related talk at Apachecon Europe that
had decent attendance and further feedback afterwards. Having spoken to a
number of PMC members we feel that reducing the size of the code base and
integrating with a number of the other ASF data projects will help bring
people on board and as such the roadmap for OODT 2.0 has this aim in mind.

COMMUNITY

Latest committers and PMC members
Radu Maonle(radumanole) on 11th Oct 2015 as committer and PMC member

Last committer and PMC member added on 6th October 2015.

        Mailing list activity has been pretty much static in terms of
period on period volume and Jira has been quiet.

ISSUES

There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

HEALTH REPORT

The project activity is pretty quiet, but there are still on going efforts
in place to help drive wider adoption.