oodt-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Barber <tom.bar...@meteorite.bi>
Subject Re: OODT Website Changes (Redux)
Date Sat, 02 Apr 2016 23:07:14 GMT
Hey Val,

You can write HTML and a bunch of other stuff, but I'm trying to offer up a
solution that is easy for people to deploy and develop on outside of the
Apache infrastructure, and markdown, being just text is easy to deploy.
Also Wordpress etc require databases and backing infra where as Jekyll is
purely static HTML by the time it is deployed.

I have no idea if Infra would support wordpress anyway, I doubt it, when
they said they were retiring Apache CMS, it wasn't like "oh but don't worry
folks, you can stand up a wordpress website", I could be wrong, but that
was my impression.

At the end of a day, creating a blog post that looks like:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/maciakl/Sample-Jekyll-Site/master/_posts/2012-02-10-code-snippets.markdown

is much quicker than writing a bunch of HTML, but the Apache CMS is also a
bit of a lie, because if you think you don't have to write HTML because its
a CMS, you're sorely mistaken! ;)

Tom