oodt-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Barber <tom.bar...@meteorite.bi>
Subject Re: Help with task: OODT Theme Refinement
Date Sat, 02 Apr 2016 23:01:57 GMT
Okay, here's some thoughts about what we need to do on the OODT website.

   1. We should come up with an official branding scheme, with a the blue
   colour we use and a bunch of complementary colours that our website,
   presentations etc should adhere to, which will unify the brand and help
   make it more recognisable within the ASF community.
   2. Home page needs breaking up and text making more "non scientist"
   friendly.
   3. Home page should have a basic component diagram written in plain
   English, so non users can understand what is available and what it provides.
   4. Components pages should be restored instead of diverting people to
   the wiki, but designed properly so people can find component information
   easily. Also we need some proper graphics to depict the components instead
   of the images we pulled in last time.
   5. Bring Radix quickstart to the website quickstart page, as it never
   changes, we should keep people on the website until they are looking for
   something specific.
   6. Clean up the development resources page to make it easier to digest,
   same with the download page, same with the about page. Broken up with
   graphics/images.
   7. Contact Us page needs a bunch of TLC
   8. OODT logo could do with updating with new feather.
   9. Need a bunch of "real world" scenarios to hook in interested parties,
   like "you could use oodt for xyz, this is how you might go about it" type
   content.

Thats just a 5 minute glance at the website, but we certainly don't make
great use of our storefront. Its certainly better than the old maven
generated website with stuff that didn't work, but we need to do a better
job still. The main reason I advocated moving away from Apache CMS in the
other thread I started tonight, is because it will greatly speed up the
development cycle, and if we use something like Jekyll we can very much
create a platform that everyone can take part in maintaining, without
knowing how to code HTML, Javascript and CSS, it also means people can
develop the site fully offline and just send github pull requests to update
it.

Nabila, I've I've not scared you away, let us know and we'll figure out the
best place to start!

Regards,

Tom