oodt-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Barber <tom.bar...@meteorite.bi>
Subject Re: Strategy for Closing off GSoC 2015 Work
Date Wed, 16 Sep 2015 12:59:26 GMT
Hi Val

I've not been involved but I'll attempt to explain.

For communications on some level we use a transport protocol called XML-RPC
which allows us to communicate over http using XML, similar to SOAP and in
very basic terms REST. Apache Avro is another serialization and transport
implementation that's far more current and up to date and brings with it a
more modern approach and sanity.

Some of us hate XMLRPC with a passion because it has dependencies on some
crazy stuff, which makes it hard to port bits of Apache OODT else where.
(Thats just a personal gripe)

Radu has been adding Avro transport alongside the XMLRPC transport so we
can test them both out side by side, but in the long run I guess Avro will
become the default.

I'm sure Chris, Lewis and Radu can expand on the rambling, but I think
thats the high level gist of it.

Tom

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 12:51 PM, Mallder, Valerie <
Valerie.Mallder@jhuapl.edu> wrote:

> For those of us who have never heard of Avro (maybe it's just me), can you
> give a quick summary of what it is and what it can be used for? Im sure
> Radu did a great job and I'm sure it's wonderful, but I'm clueless.
>
> Thanks,
> Val
>

> Sent from my iPhone.

Jira,