oodt-dev mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: i am lost
Date Sat, 28 Mar 2015 20:36:34 GMT
Hi I meant to send a reply here not sure what happened, comments below:

-----Original Message-----
From: <Mattmann>, Chris Mattmann <Chris.A.Mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov>
Date: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 11:39 PM
To: "dev@oodt.apache.org" <dev@oodt.apache.org>
Subject: Re: i am lost

>>Hi everyone,
>>
>>So, to specify what I need and to find out if I should use OODT for
>>this, here are some details of my project:
>>
>>- need to store data for development of new receiver system

Cool what type of receiver? An interferometer? A radar?

This will help understand the type of data, which I imagine
to be instrument specific.

>>- data are changing over time (need snapshots)

Got it, so you’ll need versioning. And the ability to have
replicas, etc.

>>- data of many different file types, including our own file types

+1, the File Manager’s “Product Type” concept can help you here.

>>- need to do some postprocessing on them (would like to use python and
>>gnuplot)

+1, you can do that with OODT.

>>- and be able to show some "data sheet"-like overview of the results:
>>some graphs, some numbers, some pictures. best imbedded in a nice web
>>site

Will likely bring in some visualizations here, but some of the web apps
like FM Browser, and also OPSUI can help here. Also connections directly
to Solr, FacetView and Banana are easily supported.

>>- should be available in intranet and over vpn

Got it.

>>- web interface

OODT’s got them.

>>- need some sort of log for components of system

Sure, OODT has a way to set those up. Especially when you
put together OODT’s components by using the RADIX installer.

>>- need to be able to comment on components and log entries

This can be supported with some custom code and web interfaces.

>>- at some point it may be interesting to also handle data acquisition
>>over this system. some of our lab equipment has lan interfaces or can be
>>attached to some switch.

Got it.

>>... the server system can be set up in a virtual machine or similar for
>>testing purposes, my desktop is a mac

Sure, we have a Vagrant install. Also a Docker container.

>>what is the best way to set the system up? which kind of server do i
>>need and which components of oodt should be installed?

I would start out by checking out Apache OODT RADIX:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OODT/RADiX+Powered+By+OODT

That will automatically install a full stack of OODT for you and give you
an idea how to organize OODT and the files and workflows and elements. Then
keep asking questions and we’ll help. You may also want to check out some
user guides e.g., the File Manager one is a start:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OODT/OODT+Filemgr+User+Guide

Keep the questions coming!

Cheers,
Chris