oodt-dev mailing list archives

From Eva Schlauch <eschla...@mpifr-bonn.mpg.de>
Subject Re: i am lost
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2015 09:02:23 GMT
Hello Chris,

thanks for your answer,
> Cool what type of receiver? An interferometer? A radar?
>
> This will help understand the type of data, which I imagine
> to be instrument specific.
This will be a cooled receiver for some application in radio astronomy.
We are for now not interested in the data that will be "received" but
rather in the data that characterise our system.
> Got it, so you’ll need versioning. And the ability to have replicas, etc.
Exactly. My current versioning for any data uses git. Is this somehow
similar to versioning in oodt?
>>> - need some sort of log for components of system
> Sure, OODT has a way to set those up. Especially when you
> put together OODT’s components by using the RADIX installer.
>
>>> - need to be able to comment on components and log entries
> This can be supported with some custom code and web interfaces.
I am confused now, by "system" I mean our receiver system, so I need to
log info for versions (I guess, this would be covered if the versioning
were somehow similar to git)
>>> ... the server system can be set up in a virtual machine or similar for
>>> testing purposes, my desktop is a mac
> Sure, we have a Vagrant install. Also a Docker container.
My first two attempts at installing have failed so far: could not
interact with resource manager via web interface. Do I need to do that
via cmd line? Web interface also sporadically showed nothing, but error
was not stable... Do I need some special connectivity from my frontend
to the server?? (server did not log any error)
> I would start out by checking out Apache OODT RADIX:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OODT/RADiX+Powered+By+OODT
>

> That will automatically install a full stack of OODT for you and give you
> an idea how to organize OODT and the files and workflows and elements. Then
> keep asking questions and we’ll help. You may also want to check out some
> user guides e.g., the File Manager one is a start:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OODT/OODT+Filemgr+User+Guide
Thanks, will do that once again and hope for the best.
> Keep the questions coming!
Done. ;-)

Best, Eva