oodt-dev mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS} Making Wings a part of OODT
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2014 11:09:04 GMT
Thanks Varun. I have to be very clear here. Wings cannot both be
part of Apache OODT and a separate project. It can become Apache
Wings and a separate project of OODT if you wish, but you will need
3 mentors and to create an Apache Incubator proposal for that route.
If you feel that Wings should be taken down that path, you will need
to follow the guide here to create a new project:

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html

However, in both cases, you cannot, I repeat cannot, maintain a
separate, non ASF Github account and do development here. It’s community
harmful to do such things as it means not all the development is occurring
here at the ASF and ultimately I think you guys need to think about that.
If you are fully committed to coming here to the ASF then I’m happy to
help you with either outcome.

My suggestion would be to consider becoming a part of Apache OODT, we’d
be happy to have you and I think there is enough significant overlap.
As you said, Wings can of course run without OODT, and can run on different
engines. If you see that code being stewarded by others, that aren’t part
of the Apache OODT PMC, then you may think about creating a new project.
What you may find though is in becoming a part of OODT, that there is
enough
synergy and overlap that those other interfaces, while nice, are not well
maintained and stewarded and though they are there, they may die out in
favor of the active community work going on here with OODT. I’ve seen
that happen before in other ASF projects and it’s fine. If you however
will tend towards maintaining Wings insulation and separate, then yes, you
may think about creating a different project at the ASF. But again, doing
so would require you to create a proposal and get 3 mentors from the ASF
membership (OODT PMC members including some ASF members as well) to mentor
your proposal and the Incubator PMC to vote to accept the project.

Either way is great - but you must not co-develop Wings on Github separate
of the ASF if you are coming here to the ASF.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chief Architect