oodt-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Barber <tom.bar...@meteorite.bi>
Subject Re: maven goals and what they do
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2014 15:23:09 GMT
Hi Val,

Most of the time you just need

mvn clean install

sometimes if you can't be bothered with the test suite

mvn clean install -DskipTests

is also useful.

And if you just want to run tests you can do,

mvn clean test

Maven is a dependency management tool the actual compilation(much like
make is) is passed off to javac, and as such .m2 is where all the
OODT(and any other maven projects) dependencies are stored so it can
build it again and reuse the old dependencies if they've not changed as
thats quicker than downloading them all again.

The other goals are largely called by other processes or used for
building the old website etc, so you can ignore them.

OODT is also a multimodule project so if you call maven from the top
level you'll build all the modules, if you are only interested in a
specific module you can also call it from within that modules directory
and it will build that specific module.

Hope that helps.

Tom

On 06/11/14 15:15, Mallder, Valerie wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Where is the best place I should look to find out what each of the maven "goals" actually
do?  I am new to 'maven' but very familiar with 'make'.  I am used to using "make install"
to build my application and 'install' it into the place where my users will run it from.
But, it looks like "mvn install" does something complete different. I have noticed it is installing
things in an .m2 folder in my home directory. (What the heck is this .m2 folder and why do
I need it?)

> So I thought I would just ask the general question where do I go to find out what all
of the goals listed below actually do?

--
*Tom Barber* | Technical Director

meteorite bi