oodt-dev mailing list archives

From "Verma, Rishi (398J)" <Rishi.Ve...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: what is batch stub? Is it necessary?
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2014 22:00:41 GMT
Hi Valerie,

Interesting. I have a working example here [1] you can look at that does this exact thing.

Batchstub is only necessary if your Workflow Manger is sending jobs to Resource Manager for
execution (where the default execution is to run the job in something called a “batch stub”
executable). Think of batch stubs as a small wrapper program that takes a bundle of executable
instructions from Resource Manager, and executes them in a shell environment within a given
remote (or local) machine.

Here’s my suggestion:
1. Like Paul suggested, go to $OODT_HOME/resmgr/bin, and execute the following command (it’ll
start a batch stub in a terminal on port 2001):
    > ./batch_stub 2001

If the above step doesn’t fix your problem, you can also try having Workflow Manager NOT
send jobs to Resource Manager for execution, and instead execute jobs locally through Workflow
Manager itself (on localhost only!). To disable job transfer to Resource Manger, you’ll
need to modify the Workflow Manager properties file ($OODT_HOME/wmgr/etc/workflow.properties),
and specifically comment out the “org.apache.oodt.cas.workflow.engine.resourcemgr.url”
line. I’ve done this in my example code below, see [2] for an exact example of this.
After modifying workflow.properties, make sure to restart workflow manager ($OODT_HOME/wmgr/bin/wmgr
stop   followed by $OODT_HOME/wmgr/bin/wmgr start).

Thanks,
Rishi

[1] https://github.com/riverma/xdata-jpl-netscan/blob/master/oodt-netscan/pge/src/main/resources/policy/netscan-getipv4entriesrandomsample.xml
[2] https://github.com/riverma/xdata-jpl-netscan/blob/master/oodt-netscan/workflow/src/main/resources/etc/workflow.properties

On Oct 8, 2014, at 2:31 PM, Ramirez, Paul M (398J) <paul.m.ramirez@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

> Valerie,
>
> I would have thought it would have just not used a batch stub by default. That said if
you go into the $OODT_HOME/resmgr/bin there should be a script to start a batch stub. Right
now on my phone I forget the name of the script but if you more the file you will see the
Java class name that corresponds to below. You should specify a port when you run the script
which from the looks of the output below should be 2001.

> HTH,
> Paul R
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Oct 8, 2014, at 2:04 PM, Mallder, Valerie <Valerie.Mallder@jhuapl.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Well then, I'm proud to be a member :)  (I think .... )
>>

>> Valerie A. Mallder
>> New Horizons Deputy Mission System Engineer
>> Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory

---
Rishi Verma
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
California Institute of Technology