oodt-dev mailing list archives

From Tyler Palsulich <tpalsul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Machine Specific Build Issues
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2014 02:03:37 GMT
> Think about running this code on Windows.
Good point! Let's pare down the statement, unix based machines. Or, at the
very least, two machines running the same OS and same version of Java (e.g.
OS X 10.9 and Java 1.7). I'll admit, running on all computers is a bit
optimistic. ;)

Tyler

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 6:56 PM, Lewis John Mcgibbney <
lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 Tyler I agree... this is a kind of utopian vision though lets be honest.
> Think about running this code on Windows.
> If you would like to log into the Windows build I created and see how
> unstable OODT is on the Windows platform this will explain my point
> entirely.
> This is not all bad news at all. For example, it is a well known fact that
> MANY projects will not run on Windows out of the box. Hadoop, Nutch, Gora
> and virtually every single NoSQL database on the planet are amongst this
> list.
> I share your feelings on the fact that OODT 'should' run on more
> environments...
>

> On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 6:40 PM, Tyler Palsulich <tpalsulich@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > In my opinion, all default tests should pass regardless of the computer,
> > regardless of the project. We shouldn't have to commit changes and try a
> > build on Jenkins to make sure we didn't break anything. So, I'm happy the
> > build succeeds on my computer right now. But, I also want to use Java
> 1.7.
> >

> > On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 2:03 PM, Lewis John Mcgibbney <
> > lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Tyler,
> > > I can build OODT locally not problem since tests were stabalized.
> > > Apache Maven 3.2.1 (ea8b2b07643dbb1b84b6d16e1f08391b666bc1e9;
> > > 2014-02-14T09:37:52-08:00)
> > > Maven home: /usr/local/apache-maven-3.2.1
> > > Java version: 1.7.0_55, vendor: Oracle Corporation
> > > Java home:
> > > /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_55.jdk/Contents/Home/jre
> > > Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: UTF-8
> > > OS name: "mac os x", version: "10.9.4", arch: "x86_64", family: "mac"
> > >
> > > I've always just had it as a rule of thumb (in the past anyway)... I
> try
> > > match what Jenkins environment is like.
> > > Obviously this is not the case right now as I am building on mac OSX
> > > however I am not surprised if it is not working.
> > > https://builds.apache.org/view/All/job/oodt-trunk/
> > > You can check the build configuration by navigating to 'configuration'
> on
> > > the left hand side bar and looking into the job.
> > > hth
> > > Lewis

> Java
> > > 1.7
> > > different

> > 1.6.0_65.

> > install...

> > and
> > > tests

> tpalsulich@gmail.com

> the
> munge
> > it

> /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_60.jdk/Contents/Home/jre
> > "mac"

> doesn't

Or,