oodt-dev mailing list archives

From Etienne Koen <etien...@scs-space.com>
Subject RE: Remote data transfer
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2014 12:35:03 GMT
Hi Tom

One of the other tools which is currently being tested called iRods has this capability/option
you are referring to built into it. Does OODT have something similar or how would it be done?

Here is the definition of the checksum we want to perform given on the confluence page:

"A checksum or hash sum is a small-size datum from an arbitrary block of digital data for
the purpose of detecting errors which may have been introduced during its transmission or
storage."

Does this help?

Etienne
From: Thomas Bennett [thomas@ska.ac.za]
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 1:26 PM
To: Etienne Koen
Cc: dev@oodt.apache.org
Subject: Re: Remote data transfer

Hi Etienne,

I am using TCP. My first thoughts were that a checksum using TCP is not necessary since the
protocol takes care of the data integrity but there seems to be a requirement for this in
the test plan to have a chescksum capability.

Not to confuse issues, but I perform an md5sum on all data files (hdf5 files) once they have
been created and store it as metadata for the file.
Does the requirement maybe not refer to this?

I would like to test a UDP protocol with a checksum calculation as well for some comparison.
Please let me know if you has success with implementing/using this functionality!

I will also have a look at the UDT transport mechanism as you proposed.

Woot!

Cheers,
Tom

Disclaimer: This E-mail message, including any attachments, is intended only for the person
or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential information. Each page attached
hereto must also be read in conjunction with this disclaimer.
If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying,
distribution or reliance upon the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. E.&O.E.