oodt-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Bennett <lmzxq....@gmail.com>
Subject Metadata based versioning
Date Tue, 27 May 2014 10:53:14 GMT
Hey,

When calling  *XmlRpcFileManager.ingestProduct()*, I noticed that the
variable *"m"* (Metadata m = new Metadata()) is never updated with server
side met extraction.

This means that metadata based versioning cannot work unless the metadata
used is client side metadata.

For example:

I use CoreMetExtractor on the server side to extract FileLocation and
Filename.

Howeve when *addMetadata(p,m)* is called it does the following steps:

   1. does the server based met extraction (in my case CoreMetExtraction)
   2. updates the catalog
   3. returns true.

Since it only returns true, the updates that have been made to the internal
version of m passed into the method are lost.

Versioning happens after this step and I use Filename as part of my
versioner, which ends up getting set to 'null'.

Any reason why sever side met extraction should not be used for product
versioning?
Any reason why should addMetadata should not return the updated m?

Cheers,
Tom