oodt-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Warner <christopher.war...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ApacheCon 2014
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2014 16:45:23 GMT
One of the more difficult things for me trying to sell OODT was espousing
why it's useful for structured processes whether they be government
initiated protocols for data handling or workflow handling of that data. In
some cases I'm dealing with large data sets that exist in things like
excel, word, or some other unstructured crazy format. So part of the
problem is social and dealing with researchers outside of the science
paradigm whom aren't readily used to processing or extracting information
from their data in that way.

I think it's a great idea that would give an immediate visually accessible
way of how it's useful for data sets not-related to science alone.

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 2:08 PM, Tom Barber <tom.barber@meteorite.bi> wrote:

> So I saw the call go out that they were short of applications and it got
> me thinking once again.
>
> My issue with Apache OODT is the fact currently a load of science bods use
> it (no offence ;) ) and the stuff you see written about and presented
> whilst a) is cool as hell b) lacks day to day "real world" applications for
> non scientists because if people do use it for non science applications,
> its not publicised very well  which is where I want to try and advocate
> OODT....
>
> But with my current clients don't have an obvious use case, but there must
> be a bunch if I sit down and think about them, so I was thinking about
> pitching a talk along the lines of
>
>    "Utilising the power of Apache OODT with mainstream Business
>    Intelligence tools"
>
>    Where I can discuss a few real world scenarios and I was thinking I
>    could demonstrate OODT integration with Pentaho Data
>    Integration(Apache Licensed) using ETL to control ingestion and use
>    Pentaho Data Integration to query and extract data from the Catalog.
>
>    I could also use the Pentaho BI server to create a Dashboard
>    framework to display relevant OODT information and as an alternative
>    ingestion platform to the default File manager.
>

> Clearly non of this is yet written and I guess I'd write it if the talk
> got accepted and I got my fellow colleagues to help sponsor the trip, but i
> thought the idea was worth putting out there to garner feedback from the
> development community.
>
> Thoughts on a postcard please.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom
>

> On 17/01/14 00:12, Chris Mattmann wrote:
>
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> I was thinking of submitting one on the use of Apache OODT
>> in the Airborne Snow Observatory (ASO) project at JPL. or on
>> the Wicket-based web interfaces. Do you have any ideas of what
>> to submit?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Chris

>> Chris Mattmann