oodt-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Mattmann <mattm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hadoop Similarities
Date Sun, 03 Nov 2013 16:07:52 GMT
Hey Guys,

Lewis's description is pretty spot on.

Basically Apache Hadoop is a kernel/OS set of capabilities and
functionalities
for workflow processing (used to only be for M/R but now with YARN for
mostly any computational type) and for storage, distributed, highly
available
and replicated (which is needed on low cost unreliable, shared nothing
hardware).

Apache OODT is a data management toolkit and data processing toolkit, that
can
interoperate and *leverage* Hadoop as one of the capabilities needed in
building
data systems. It can store data to HDFS (using the File Manager) either in
standard
ingestion and processing use cases; it can submit jobs to M/R or YARN
style workflows
and use that as the heavy lifter for the workflow processor.

In short, OODT is the code that you normally write over and over again
when building
data systems that combine Hadoop, Oracle, MySQL, WINGS, THREDDS, Condor,
and Ganglia,
GridFTP or bbFTP, etc. In other words, what you need to build an end to
end data ingestion
and processing and dissemination system. OODT makes that "glue code" very
easy to configure
and write (via XML and configuration policy/architecture) and provides a
repeatable, and
easily discernible way to build these systems.

HTH!

Cheers,
Chris