oodt-dev mailing list archives

From AMILA RANATUNGA <newair...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Research project on integrating geoservices with Apache Airavata
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2013 10:57:36 GMT
Hi,

We are so thankful for all of the replies so far. Presentation given by
chris and[1] gives  good understanding about the development of SIS. And
the slide 21 describes remaining code to move as WMS, WCS, WCTS, WPS and
more. Is that mean Apache SIS does not support them?

And GeoTk code was moved to SIS and claims that reference implementation of
GEOAPI.

 geotoolkit,org <http://www.geotoolkit.org/> library ( claims that abridged
from GeoTk )
 Mapfaces <http://mapfaces.codehaus.org/> (claims as an enhancement of
geotoolkit)
 constellation-sdi <http://www.constellation-sdi.org/> (using GEOAPI and
geotoolkit as components )
 puzzle-gis <http://puzzle-gis.codehaus.org/techno.html> (claims as using
geotoolkit)

Will integrating those into sis make one step ahead to "SIS well-suited to
some communities (*scientists, but also non-scientists* wanting to explore
data in more dimensions than the usual x,y)."?

We also referred the white paper[2].There are OGC compliance products and
OGC implementing products[3]. What is the main difference? For an example
zoo project is considered as OGC implementing. But the site says " It
provides an OGC WPS compliant developer-friendly framework to create and
chain WPS Web services".

 As Jun mentioned Osgeo live dvd has many products [4]. If they are
compliance with OGC. implementing OGC standards with Airavata will make
such products inter-operable with Airavta. But those have implemented
specific OGC standards (As Martin said " I think that OGC standards are so
large that no single software in the world implement all of them"). So for
such a project what will be the major consideration should be. Or how far
an integration SIS with Airavata will solve this problem?
Thank you again for the help and we are definitely looking forward to
contribute for these projects.

Thank you !

[1]https://whimsy.apache.org/board/minutes/SIS.html
[2]http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=41359