oodt-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Barkstrom <brbarkst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Might want to stay away from JDK7
Date Sun, 13 Jan 2013 19:53:44 GMT
Thanks for taking heed of the warning.

I'll note that when I was participating in the GGF, the recommendations
required two
implementations of interfaces with the code being done in different
languages.
That would fit with our article on replication by increasing the paths to
redundancy
and resilience - but at the cost of development resources and maintenance.
Nothing's free.

I'll mention that I'm off developing a "non-query" approach to matching
user capabilities
with the attributes of collections in Earth science Archives.  This even
includes doing
a private and off-line Web site in a CGI interface entirely in Ada and with
no XML.
The current design has one Web site for input and other Web sites for the
"reference interview"
of users and for "collection attribute matching".  I've come to realize
that I'm not really suited
to leading a group of people I have to monitor, since my understanding
works by
creating instantiations of ideas from first principles.  Or, to put it a
bit differently,
I develop code to understand a problem, not to fix a problem by using
standard
procedures.  Since it's research, to hell with "requirements".  Or - in
somewhat
different language - "no project requirements, no managerial overhead -
except what's
needed for understanding."

Bruce B.