oodt-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Foster <holeno...@me.com>
Subject Re: Environment Variables in OODT
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2013 06:24:32 GMT

hey michael,

System.getenv() didn't exist in jdk 1.4 when the code was initially written and System.getenv(String)
was deprecated in jdk 1.4... i believe it was rewritten and undeprecated in jdk 1.5 and System.getenv()
was added... so ya it probably should be using System.getenv()... a patch with several unit-tests
would be welcomed as far as i'm concerned... chris?

-brian

On Jan 15, 2013, at 10:58 AM, Starch, Michael D (388L) wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Why does the OODT Commons code for reading environment variables run the command line
utility "env" instead of calling System.getEnvironment()?

> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/oodt/trunk/commons/src/main/java/org/apache/oodt/commons/exec/EnvUtilities.java
>
> We are running into transient problems in our version where environment variables are
sometimes being set to null.  I am wondering if this is a problem with the added complexity
of running env over and over again getting env variables, instead of using the built in java
mechanisms for getting this info.