oodt-dev mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: Continuing a workflow after restarting the workflow manager
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 05:37:58 GMT
Hi Brian,

I was hoping this one would get you commenting and out of the woodwork on this! :)

OK, so yes it's my plan to support the state restore from the WorkflowInstanceRepository and
from current state information
like wengine provides. I'm not sure it'll be part of 0.4 (my main goal is to support the 80%
of the wengine features to run,
deliver it integrated into 0.4 and then start pulling over the stuff folks want and use in
0.4.1 or 0.5).

Keith: welcome! I'll reply to your original thread shortly...

Cheers,
Chris

On Feb 28, 2012, at 9:14 PM, Brian Foster wrote:

> wengine supports this because wengine only ever cached small amounts of the workflows
in memory, the rest was save to disk and loaded on an "as needed" basis, so if the server
went down it, when brought back up it just re-cached and kept going... the truck workflow
only persists workflow task instances, the workflow itself in not persisted... this is something
Chris will have to comment on if this is being ported or not (or has already been ported)...
as far as starting a failed workflow from where it left off, wengine supports changing workflow
states at the task level which allowed you to just set the tasks' states back to initial state
and the wengine would start running it again... again Chris would be the one to answer if
this is being ported or has already been ported

> -Brian
>
> On Feb 28, 2012, at 8:01 PM, "Ramirez, Paul M (388J)" <paul.m.ramirez@jpl.nasa.gov>
wrote:

>> Hi Keith,
>>
>> This type of functionality may end up getting ported back into the trunk as I believe
it was available in the wengine branch. This porting is being actively worked on and can generally
be tracked here https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OODT-215 and specifically for rollback
here https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OODT-212. Currently, Chris is leading the charge
in getting this work back into the trunk but Brian Foster may also be able to comment on what
is needed to support rolling back directly.

>> --Paul Ramirez
>>

>> On Feb 28, 2012, at 10:54 AM, Sheryl John wrote:
>>
>> Hi Keith,
>>
>> First of all welcome to the OODT world!
>>
>> If you restart your Workflow Manager a new repo is created and all previous
>> workflow instances are wiped out and so, the engine does not track previous
>> tasks in your old workflow instance.
>> You can check this using the command line option : --getWorkflowInsts or
>> try ./wmgr-client --help for other cmd-lne options. If you're using
>> 0.4-SNAPSHOT you'll see the latest command line menu.
>>
>> If you haven't restarted you wmgr you can start, pause and resume your
>> workflow instance ( and this should complete the tasks in that workflow)
>> with the cmd-line options.
>> I usually restart the wmgr after I've modified policy files or changed
>> environment variables/locations.
>>
>> Hope this helps!
>>
>> Sheryl
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 8:37 AM, Keith Cummings <kcumming@nrao.edu<mailto:kcumming@nrao.edu>>
wrote:

>> Hello,
>> I'm at NRAO and we are considering using OODT in the near future and I
>> just started playing around with it, specifically the the Workflow Manager.
>>
>> I was wondering if the Workflow Manager is able to restart workflows that
>> are partially complete.  For example, I started a workflow that has four
>> tasks.  During the processing of the second task, I stopped the Workflow
>> Manager, then restarted it.  The Workflow Manager does NOT continue
>> processing this task/workflow.  Is there a way to have it pick up where it
>> left off?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Keith Cummings
>> NRAO