oodt-dev mailing list archives

From holenoter <holeno...@mac.com>
Subject Re: CAS-CLI option standardiztion...
Date Sat, 19 Nov 2011 01:23:08 GMT
oh that's right... filemgr... how could i forget about the filemgr???... i'll do that one next...
i'll integrate all the random tools into the client's supported actions as well... such as
the delete and query tools... then in the mean time we can talk about how we want the crawler
command-line to look... i'll create an issue for both the filemgr and crawler with cas-cli
so we have a place to keep this conversation going... onto the filemgr conversion then...

-brian

On Nov 18, 2011, at 03:01 PM, "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov>
wrote:

> Hey duder,
>
> On Nov 18, 2011, at 2:28 PM, holenoter wrote:
>

> > hey guys,
> >
> > okay so the workflow and resource manager have been upgraded to using cas-cli...
they maintained the same look as they had before...

> They look amazing. A true testament to the great generic cli framework you've made.
>
> > now the question i have is: the command-line look they have now, is that the look
we want going forward or do we want to give the command-line a new look... if we decide to
change the command-line, backward compatibility can be easily maintained by keeping the current
cas-cli spring xml files around and all any user has to do is point at those spring files
and workflow and resource manager command-line will work and look like it always has... i
don't really have an opinion one way of the other,

> Yeah I'm kind of the same way. I'm used to the FM WM and RM working that way (with the
--operation <action> step), so I'm not necessarily looking for them to change much.
We also haven't had a lot of complaints. I've heard the occasional complaints about --operation,
but I haven't seen a lot of folks willing to put in the effort that you have to get them all
integrated and unified together, and/or changed.

> Because of that, I'm tentative to actually suggest they should be changed. Furthermore,
I guess in a way we could consider the FM, WM and RM to
> be different beasts than e.g., crawler and/or pushpull and cas-pge since they are the
core *services* and the crawler/pushpull and cas-pge are really
> client-side frameworks. See more below.
>
> > but my next component which is going to get cas-cli is the crawler, and it's command-line
doesn't look like the workflow or resource manager (probably my fault)

> Nah, you were just ahead of your time per usual :-)
>
> > ... so i would like to make it either look like the workflow and resource manager
(i.e. --operation --<action>) or make the workflow and resource manager look more like
the crawler... or given them all a "new" look... either way i would like to make all the components'
command-line work in a way such that if you learn one, you learn them all... let me know what
you guys think.

> I'm +1 for your statement about knowing one of them, and then knowing them all. However,
I think you've done that from the perspective of having
> your statement now be true with FM, WM and RM. And I think you're going to do that for
the other client frameworks and they will look the same.

> Having said that, the differences are pretty small (whether or not an --operation flag
has to be passed to fire off the action with name <action>, compared
> to baking in the <action> name into the --flag. That's not too different. I think
being on cas-cli will help bring them all together in the long run
> anyways, but I don't see a huge value added from changing the CLI contracts as they have
existed for a while. On the other hand, I see a HUGE advantage