oodt-dev mailing list archives

From David Kale <davek...@cs.stanford.edu>
Subject Re: Getting started
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2011 18:26:21 GMT
And the list removed my attachment.  Will send directly.

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 11:23 AM, David Kale <davekale@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Thien,
>
> Actually, a great place to start would be the attached paper, "An
> Informatics Architecture for the Virtual Pediatric Intensive Care
> Unit" from CBMS 2011, describing an effort to do data management at
> Children's Hospital LA in a way that can scale to multiple
> institutions, using OODT principles and components.  There are a
> number of VPICU team members on this list (from both CHLA and JPL) who
> would be happy to answer your questions, on the list or offline.
>
> My perspective is the following: data integration and management in
> large medical institutions and organizations is HARD.  That is a
> simple fact, and any company or organization who claims to have an
> out-of-the-box solution is either deluded or lying.  There is some
> amount of DYI (do it yourself) that is unavoidable, and so -- in my
> opinion -- it's best to go with something that gives you a lot of
> interoperable but loosely coupled tools, components, and modules that
> save you bits of work here and there but are also easily modified or
> extended.  From that standpoint, OODT and the larger Apache ecosystem
> are quite suitable.
>
> As for specifics, I'd recommend diving into the FileManager and
> WorkFlowManager components, though perhaps others would offer
> different advice.
>
> Anyway, sounds like you're clearly heading in the same direction we
> are, so we'd be happy to chat more!
>
> Dave
>

> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Nguyen, Thien <Thien.Nguyen3@va.gov> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm a medical informatics software developer at the Boston Department of Veteran
Affairs. We are reviewing tools to prototype for use in our systems that would help manage,
share, and track research information. We have genomic data, health records, phenotypic data,
and results of nlp/machine learning techniques.

>> OODT sounds like a nice package that we would like to try out, but, honestly, the
website says very little. I'm not even sure where to begin to even try interacting with the
downloaded source. Any direction on how to get started or lower-level resources to read up
on would be greatly appreciated.