oodt-dev mailing list archives

From "Verma, Rishi (317I)" <Rishi.Ve...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject When to use CAS-PGE
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2011 20:32:13 GMT
Hi All,

This is something I have been wondering myself, and perhaps other CAS-Workflow users have
been wondering as well so I thought I'd put this question out there.

The question is: in which circumstances does it make sense to use PGEs for representing workflow
tasks? In other words, which types of situations favor wrapping a workflow task as a PGETaskInstance
versus using the generic WorkflowTaskInstance?

Based on my own experience with CAS-PGE, I feel it makes sense to go for using PGEs for the
following types of situations:
[1] Extensive use of external programs is required for the execution of a workflow task
[2] Gathering products from, or ingesting products to the CAS-FileManager is needed for the
execution of a workflow task

If there are other types of circumstances using PGEs is ideal for or if there are other opinions
out there, it would be great to hear them!

Thanks,
Rishi