oodt-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Barkstrom <brbarkst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A Question About OODT Documentation
Date Sun, 26 Jun 2011 13:57:18 GMT
I suspect that there's a need for several different kinds of documentation.

The approach that starts with components seems to me to be too fragmented
to give a novice user any idea how something as complex as OODT works
and how to move up the learning curve.  This was always a problem with the
Grid software in the olden days of GGF.

I suspect there's a need for an "Introduction to how to use OODT" kind
of manual
- but that's likely to take an author who has detailed knowledge of OODT and
the skill to weave a useful narrative of introduction to how to use
it.  Or, since people don't seem to like to read manuals, maybe some
kind of Web experience like an introduction
that resembles an interactive game.

It may also be that OODT will need some kind of
"advertising literature" that would give potential customers for the product
an introduction or feature list that would show how OODT stacks up against
alternative products.  This kind of document might also list what resources
a potential cusomer might need and how long it would take to get an OODT
installation up and running.

I'd hoped to do an introduction to OODT along the introductory manual
line.  However, my time has been taken up by another project.

Bruce B.