oodt-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Hart <ah...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] OODT 0.3 Release Candidate
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2011 00:34:36 GMT
Hey Paul,

I'm taking you up on your earlier offer of some help in the release
process for 0.3. I've run into a problem with step 16
(https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OODT/Release+Process) which
is the release:prepare step for staging a repository at
repository.apache.org.

I've been able to set up my keys, my environment, and process through
all of the steps just fine up to that point. What happens here is, about
halfway through, it gets to the point where (i think) it is trying to
ask for my gpg key passphrase. The problem is, no matter what I've tried
(details below), I can't get it to actually present me with a prompt so
that I can enter my passphrase. The end of the output log looks like:

[INFO] [INFO]
[INFO] [INFO] Building OODT Core
[INFO] [INFO]    task-segment: [clean, verify]
[INFO] [INFO]
[INFO] [INFO] [clean:clean {execution: default-clean}]
[INFO] [INFO] Setting property: classpath.resource.loader.class =>
'org.codehaus.plexus.velocity.ContextClassLoaderResourceLoader'.
[INFO] [INFO] Setting property: velocimacro.messages.on => 'false'.
[INFO] [INFO] Setting property: resource.loader => 'classpath'.
[INFO] [INFO] Setting property: resource.manager.logwhenfound => 'false'.
[INFO] [INFO] [remote-resources:process {execution: default}]
[INFO] [INFO] [site:attach-descriptor {execution:
default-attach-descriptor}]
[INFO] [INFO] Parent project loaded from repository.
[INFO] [INFO] Preparing source:jar
[INFO] [WARNING] Removing: jar from forked lifecycle, to prevent
recursive invocation.
[INFO] [INFO] No goals needed for project - skipping
[INFO] [INFO] [source:jar {execution: attach-sources}]
[INFO] [INFO] Preparing javadoc:javadoc
[INFO] [WARNING] Removing: jar from forked lifecycle, to prevent
recursive invocation.
[INFO] [WARNING] Removing: javadoc from forked lifecycle, to prevent
recursive invocation.
[INFO] [INFO] No goals needed for project - skipping
[INFO] [WARNING] DEPRECATED [aggregate]: since 2.5. Use the goals

instead.
[INFO] [INFO] [javadoc:javadoc {execution: attach-javadocs}]
[INFO] [WARNING] DEPRECATED [aggregate]: since 2.5. Use the goals

instead.
[INFO] [INFO] [javadoc:jar {execution: attach-javadocs}]
[INFO] [INFO] Not executing Javadoc as the project is not a Java
classpath-capable package
[INFO] [INFO] [gpg:sign {execution: default}]

... and then it hangs.

I've tried running through the steps on the following environments:

1) on people.apache.org (Maven 2.2.1, GPG 2.0.17) via ssh & via ssh -Y
from both the Mac (terminal and X11) and Linux (native) terminals
2) locally on an Ubuntu 10.04 laptop (Maven 2.2.1, GPG 1.4.10) through
its native terminal
3) locally on a Mac OSX 10.6.3 laptop (Maven 2.2.0) in both the terminal
and X11

After speaking to Chris about this, I found out he had had success using
version 2.x of GPG via X11, so I have built that (and all the
dependencies) on my Mac, and re-run the process in both the terminal and
X11, to no avail.

I currently have the following for Maven:

tension:apache-oodt-0.3-src ahart$ mvn --version
Apache Maven 2.2.0 (r788681; 2009-06-26 06:04:01-0700)
Java version: 1.6.0_17
Java home: /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home
Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: MacRoman
OS name: "mac os x" version: "10.6.3" arch: "x86_64" Family: "mac"

and the following for GPG2:

tension:apache-oodt-0.3-src ahart$ gpg2 --version
gpg (GnuPG) 2.0.17
libgcrypt 1.4.2
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

Home: ~/.gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: RSA, ELG, DSA
Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH, CAMELLIA128,
         CAMELLIA192, CAMELLIA256
Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2

I can confirm that I have gpg-agent (the program that apparently is
supposed to handle this action) installed:

tension:apache-oodt-0.3-src ahart$ gpg-agent --version
gpg-agent (GnuPG) 2.0.17
libgcrypt 1.4.2
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

There are a number of threads / mail messages out there:

http://maven.40175.n5.nabble.com/maven-gpg-plugin-blocked-during-the-execution-td2835265.html
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MGPG-9
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRELEASE-424

in which people discuss a similar problem and various solutions. I
confess, however, that my Maven skills are not yet to the point where I
fully understand how to implement some of the proposed solutions. As you
were the RM for 0.2, I would really appreciate any help or insight you
might be able to offer here!

Thanks!

Andrew.