oodt-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Foster <holeno...@me.com>
Subject columnbaseddatasourcecatalog
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2011 21:58:51 GMT
I'm not so sure a list of productids can be easily determined without the view ... the view
was used because this was not easy with vector elements involved ... with a query that has
a bunch of AND and OR statement you'd have some nasty join and intersect statements which
would be a nightmare to debug ... also the reason the view is not used to get the metadata
values is because the view duplicates scalar values when merged against vector values. for
example, say you have a product type which has a scalar element filename and a vector element
inputfiles. and say there is a product with filename=test.dat and inputfiles=input1.dat,input2.dat
... the view will cause a join and you will be querying a table which looks like:

productid         filename             inputfiles
1                     test.dat               input1.dat
1                     test.dat               input2.dat

hope that helps!
-brian