oodt-dev mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: Product Server Data Transformation
Date Sun, 20 Mar 2011 02:14:33 GMT
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your question. My replies inline below:

> I'd like to implement a new data transfer protocol in the file manager.
> More specifically I'd like to be able to call the StorNext SAN API to move
> large files with greater efficiency than native copy commands allow.
>
> Would the best approach be to create StorNextDataTransfer and
> StorNextDataTransferFactory classes (implementing the appropriate
> interfaces) and include my custom logic therein?

+1, yep that's the way to go about it at least IMHO.

> How would I instantiate my
> custom solution?

After you bake up your 2 classes (the transfer and the factory), package them up somehow (you
could create a stornext-transfer MVN project) and then what you'd do is end up with a jar
somehow (via Maven, or however) and then take that jar and drop it inside of filemgr/lib inside
of your deployment directory. Then edit your filemgr/etc/filemgr.properties file and specify
your data transfer factory (if you are doing FM server side transfer). If you are doing client
transfer (via the crawler, the std ingester, or simply via the filemgr-client), then all you
need to do is specify your data transfer factory and then specify the clientTransfer switch.

Then after you've used your data transfer for a while and are confident in it, and if you
are willing you could always contribute it back to OODT proper at Apache. This would depend
on the licensing for whatever underlying library that you integrate (you can check http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html
for that) and then you'd create a JIRA issue for it and attach a patch.

Thanks and good luck Andy!

Cheers,
Chris

> On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Andy Bauch <andy.bauch@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In the product server documentation it states that the service can
>> "transform products from proprietary formats and into Internet standard
>> formats or run other transformations, all without impacting local stores or
>> operations."
>>
>> I was wondering what enabled this open-ended functionality.  From what I
>> can tell, the idea is that you simply create your own implementation of the
>> QueryHandler interface and do all of the data fetching/transformation there.
>>
>> Is that the case?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -Andy

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.