oodt-dev mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: Discussions in JIRA vs list
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2010 23:34:31 GMT
Hugs back to you bud. I'll point you to the proliferation of operating systems, IDEs and other
devices. Not everyone can be perfect and use a Mac, Eclipse and Maven :)

But I put up with them nonetheless :)

Cheers,
Chris

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 10, 2010, at 2:42 PM, "Justin Erenkrantz" <justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
> <chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>> Yeah JIRA isn't exactly intended for consuming over email. I usually just click the
links when the email comes so that I can be taken to the real place that the magic happens:
JIRA itself.

> That's the crux of my concern - an issue tracker shouldn't be the
> place that "magic" happens.
>
> I shouldn't be forced to follow JIRA to know that you are vetoing something.
>
>> Eh, I'm not sure on this one. I think it depends on how you consume the information
from JIRA or a mailing list. A mailing list discussion may be great if you're on the go, or
reading it on your blackberry: easy to reply to, quickly able to read, that type of thing.
However, what if you want to search it? Or search across a number of them? Google is great
for that too, (as are the mail archives) but there's some extra clicks there that you have
to do to find what's going on. It's also not real time in terms of being able to search latest
issues. Some mail-archive systems are real time, but you have to leave the context of your
reader to go use them (open a browser, click, click, that type of thing).