oodt-dev mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: Discussions in JIRA vs list
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2010 14:33:07 GMT
Hey Justin,

First off, can you report this discussion as an issue in JIRA first?

(I kid, I kid)

> I notice that there is a bit of back/forth going on in the JIRA
> comments.  In my opinion, there is no easy way to read this via email
> as JIRA pooches the formatting of the comments (I can't easily tell
> what is being quoted and what isn't).

Yeah JIRA isn't exactly intended for consuming over email. I usually just click the links
when the email comes so that I can be taken to the real place that the magic happens: JIRA
itself.

> My hunch is that it may be best to move the discussions from JIRA
> other than the most mundane back to this list.  After the discussion
> is complete and a resolution is agreed upon, a link to the mail
> archives in the JIRA issue should be sufficient to "close the loop".
> (This is the strategy we use in Subversion.)

Eh, I'm not sure on this one. I think it depends on how you consume the information from JIRA
or a mailing list. A mailing list discussion may be great if you're on the go, or reading
it on your blackberry: easy to reply to, quickly able to read, that type of thing. However,
what if you want to search it? Or search across a number of them? Google is great for that
too, (as are the mail archives) but there's some extra clicks there that you have to do to
find what's going on. It's also not real time in terms of being able to search latest issues.
Some mail-archive systems are real time, but you have to leave the context of your reader
to go use them (open a browser, click, click, that type of thing).

OTOH, say you're sitting at your desk, and you want to see what's going on with JIRA development
for a project/etc. You've got several nice views (the components classification pane, the
upcoming fix versions pane), you've got a search interface that's real time updated with the
latest issues, etc, etc. Also on each issue you've got the ability to have these nicely formatted
(admittedly weird-looking when represented in emails) issue descriptions and comments discussions,
just like you'd get if you were looking at a mail archive view of a prior message. So, it
definitely has its advantages too.

> More fundamentally, I have concerns about -1's being cast in a JIRA
> comment...they should be casted on list to ensure that everyone can
> chime in properly and fully understand what's going on.

Heh, I was the one that was throwing around my opposition to a design that was being proposed,
so happy to chime in on this one. I don't think there's a hard and fast rule as to where design
displeasure should be cast. Arguably my displeasure was being barfed all over the list by
the JIRA issue emails you likely received ^_^ At the same time, my -1 comment on the particular
issue (OODT-72 [1]) also came across on the list (see here [2]) too.

One thing I did just notice though is that JIRA issue notifications go to commits@oodt.a.o
instead of dev@oodt.a.o. Anyone opposed to me changing it to dev@oodt.a.o? Then I think folks
on dev (that care less about SVN commits) would also be privy to the JIRA email discussions
and comments too. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Chris

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OODT-72