oodt-dev mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: Building OODT
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2010 06:51:42 GMT
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your message! Just as an FYI, your messages are getting through. One way to check
is that you can visit any of the public archives for Apache projects, specifically you can
find the OODT ones here [1] or here [2]. A lot of times I just Google and I can find them
(b/c the archives are publicly indexed). So good job, you've got them through! :)

Now, onto some help below...

> Here is a summary of my discoveries:
> * mvn install 'freezes' when downloading some dependencies. I've tested and
> even wget freezes. A ^C and a restart completes the download, but it seems
> like odd behavior. It could very well be an issue on my side, but I thought
> I would mention it.

Thanks for the heads up, here. Several OODT devs and users seem to be experiencing this too.
Basically it has to do with the quality of the external dependency provider. In r1023552 [3]
I added an external repository to the oodt/core/pom.xml file so that oodt/pushpull would build
(it has an external dependency on Cog JGlobus for one of its FTP providers in the protocol
layer). I think that this particular repository may be causing some issues for folks who don't
already have a local copy of the jar files downloaded by Maven.

The nice thing is like some other folks have pointed out, once you get the jars, you don't
need to download them again, but one quick workaround might be to femove that repository from
your local checkout of oodt/core/pom.xml in the repo definition section. If you do that, and
your build speeds up, we can file an issue in JIRA to maybe remove that repo and find a more
reliable provider

> * There are some dependencies that may need to be fixed (or perhaps I need
> to update my maven configuration)
>
> My two problem dependencies so far are:
> * Tika-0.8-SNAPSHOT

Yep. The 0.1-incubating version of OODT relied on the latest version of Tika at the time (0.8-SNAPSHOT)
because were kind of in between Tika releases. When I pushed the Tika 0.8 official release
out, the Maven snapshots repository at Apache ceased to have that snapshot.

Dave Kale fixed this in the latest trunk version (0.2-incubating) in OODT-59 [4], so you could
grab the latest trunk version from SVN by doing the following:

1. svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/oodt/trunk ./oodt
2. cd oodt
3. execute build process as normal

Or, alternatively you could just grab the patch for OODT-59 and apply it locally to your checkout.
Either way should work fine.

> * hsqldb-1.8.0.7

I think Justin mentioned that he found this dependency in a different repository, but I actually
found it in Maven Central, here [5]. I'm wondering if you ran into some intermittent network
connectivity issue with Maven Central. Can you check [5] and see if that works for you Tom?

> My solutions for these have been:
> * Build Tika jar file from source and run the following command: mvn
> install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.tika -DartifactId=tika-core
> -Dversion=0.8-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=test.jar

Wow, for being new to Maven (and Tika likely) you did a great job working around this! :)

> * I've changed the catalog pom.xml file to use hsqldb version 1.8.0.10, but
> the error still occurs. I see that executeBatch is
> in: org/hsqldb/jdbc/JDBCStatement.java for later versions of hsqldb.

Gotcha. Yep try grabbing the dependency from [5] (or see if Maven will download it for you
now -- it should automatically check Maven Central).

> I'm not sure what the best solution is for hsqldb. Any help welcome. Perhaps
> the short term solution is for someone to send me a copy of their hsqldb
> directory from .m2/repository :)

HTH!

Cheers,
Chris