oodt-dev mailing list archives

From david woollard <wooll...@gmail.com>
Subject Recent Comments/Questions about maven builds
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2010 15:38:51 GMT
[Apologies for cross-posting]

Thomas,

I saw your comment on OODT-64 [1] and I think questions like that are
probably better addressed on the mailing lists. I've CC'ed the dev list for
completeness of the thread, but if you have not done so, I would recommend
subscribing to both dev@ and user@. We just transitioned the mailing lists
[2], so everyone should be migrated over if you previously had a
subscription.

Now, to your questions:

"Can I launch stuff through maven?
Where are the actual executables built by maven?
How do I generate a class path. I've seen some maven targets
like: dependency:build-classpath. Which generated a class path for me, but
this was not particularly useful."

The best reference to see are the user guides. If you navigate to the
Components section of the OODT website [3], you should see subsections for
documentation on each of the different OODT components. If you got to
Catalog and Archive -> File Manager [4], you will see links on the bottom
right for a Developer Guide, Basic User Guide, and Advanced User Guide. In
general, each of the components will have something of a guide (not a hard a
fast rule, and definitely a work in progress, so let us know if you find
missing documentation by filing an issue).

If you look through the File Manager Basic User Guide, there are
instructions that clarify the questions you are asking here, though I will
briefly summarize on list. Maven is a build system; we do not run any
instances of components through maven. When you build an OODT component with
the "package" target, you  will get a tared/zipped package in the target
directory that, when untared/unzipped, has the following directory
structure:

bin/ etc/ logs/ doc/ lib/ policy/ LICENSE.txt CHANGES.txt

This is the general layout for most of the the components. A basic
description of the files and subdirectories of the deployment is presented
below:

bin - contains scripts for running the File Manager, including the "filemgr"
server script, and the "filemgr-client" client script.
etc - contains the logging.properties file for the File Manager, and the
filemgr.properties file used to configure the server options.
logs - the default directory into which log files are written.
doc - contains Javadoc documentation, and user guides for using the File
Manager.
lib - the required Java jar files to run the File Manager.
policy - the default XML-based element and product type policy in case the
user is using the XML Repository Manager and/or the XML Validation Layer.
CHANGES.txt - contains the CHANGES present in this released version of the
File Manager.
LICENSE.txt - the LICENSE for the File Manager project.

If you go to the bin directory, there are scripts to run the File Manager
(these scripts automatically adjust your path accordingly). I hope this
answer your question (and seeds the users list), but please don't hesitate
to ask if you have follow-up questions.

-Dave

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OODT-64?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=12935311