oodt-dev mailing list archives

From David Kale <davek...@cs.stanford.edu>
Subject Re: Building OODT
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2010 03:14:00 GMT
I think it's fair to say that this is part of the maven building experience,
for better or for worse.  Maven is automatically downloading a variety of
dependencies from a variety of locations, and sometimes the mirrors from
which it is downloading are less than responsive.  I suppose if I had my
way, maven would do a better job of gracefully handling unresponsive or slow
mirrors -- and of communicating what is going on to the user.

Whenever I get annoyed at it, I remind myself that the alternative would be
to download the dependencies manually, which would also be pretty annoying.

On a philosophical note, I do wonder if systems like maven encourage
excessive dependencies and reliance on external libraries.  For large
projects like OODT, you watch literally tens or hundreds of dependencies go
by and unless you're extremely curious and meticulous, you probably never
bother to see what they are, what they do, etc.

Dave