oodt-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Foster <holeno...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Recent Comments/Questions about maven builds
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2010 17:11:35 GMT

Thomas . . . do you want just a metadata catalog or a file/metadata catalog up? . . . you
attached OODT-64 to cas-catalog which is a multi-catalog metadata service . . . if you would
like file management with metadata, then cas-filemgr is what you are looking to use.  cas-catalog
is a relatively new addition to the CAS (so unfortunately not much documentation on it) .
. . if it is cas-catalog which you would like to get up and running, i've got some example
spring xml files which should get you started which i can attach to the issue if you would
like.

-brian

On Nov 24, 2010, at 7:38 AM, david woollard wrote:

> [Apologies for cross-posting]
>
> Thomas,
>
> I saw your comment on OODT-64 [1] and I think questions like that are probably better
addressed on the mailing lists. I've CC'ed the dev list for completeness of the thread, but
if you have not done so, I would recommend subscribing to both dev@ and user@. We just transitioned
the mailing lists [2], so everyone should be migrated over if you previously had a subscription.

> Now, to your questions:
>
> "Can I launch stuff through maven?
> Where are the actual executables built by maven?
> How do I generate a class path. I've seen some maven targets
> like: dependency:build-classpath. Which generated a class path for me, but
> this was not particularly useful."
>
> The best reference to see are the user guides. If you navigate to the Components section
of the OODT website [3], you should see subsections for documentation on each of the different
OODT components. If you got to Catalog and Archive -> File Manager [4], you will see links
on the bottom right for a Developer Guide, Basic User Guide, and Advanced User Guide. In general,
each of the components will have something of a guide (not a hard a fast rule, and definitely
a work in progress, so let us know if you find missing documentation by filing an issue).

> If you look through the File Manager Basic User Guide, there are instructions that clarify
the questions you are asking here, though I will briefly summarize on list. Maven is a build
system; we do not run any instances of components through maven. When you build an OODT component
with the "package" target, you  will get a tared/zipped package in the target directory that,
when untared/unzipped, has the following directory structure:

> bin/ etc/ logs/ doc/ lib/ policy/ LICENSE.txt CHANGES.txt
>
> This is the general layout for most of the the components. A basic description of the
files and subdirectories of the deployment is presented below:

> bin - contains scripts for running the File Manager, including the "filemgr" server script,
and the "filemgr-client" client script.
> etc - contains the logging.properties file for the File Manager, and the filemgr.properties
file used to configure the server options.
> logs - the default directory into which log files are written.
> doc - contains Javadoc documentation, and user guides for using the File Manager.
> lib - the required Java jar files to run the File Manager.
> policy - the default XML-based element and product type policy in case the user is using
the XML Repository Manager and/or the XML Validation Layer.
> CHANGES.txt - contains the CHANGES present in this released version of the File Manager.
> LICENSE.txt - the LICENSE for the File Manager project.
>
> If you go to the bin directory, there are scripts to run the File Manager (these scripts
automatically adjust your path accordingly). I hope this answer your question (and seeds the
users list), but please don't hesitate to ask if you have follow-up questions.