oodt-dev mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject [DISCUSS] OODT Podling Incubator Experiment (was Re: Radical revamp (was: an experiment))
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2010 04:21:01 GMT
(moving to oodt-dev@incubator.a.o, context coming in separate email FWD)

Hey Justin,

>> +1 from me with my OODT hat on.
>>
>> Also, I like Greg's proposal b/c it puts the onus on those (proposed)
>> $podling.apache.org PMC members who are active, without external "peanut
>> gallery" oversight.
>
> However, I think we should probably have a discussion on the OODT list
> as we should think through what this means and how it'd affect the
> nascent community.  With Subversion, it already had a very vibrant,
> diverse, and self-governing community - OODT isn't quite there so
> there's a bit of a risk there.  Perhaps this will act as a prod to
> promote the self-governance - which is ideally what we want anyway.

+1

> At the moment, I probably don't have the time necessary to sit down
> and lead the conversation within OODT.  That alone does give me a bit
> of a reservation about what exactly we're signing up for.  =)  --

To me, all we are signing up for with Greg's proposal is basically to have
something like:

1. oodt.apache.org exists today
2. Ian, Chris, Justin and Jean Frederic are OODT PMC members + committers
3. OODT committers continue as-is
5. There is no more IPMC oversight
5. VOTEs on releases are approved by 3 +1s of OODT PMC members
   - OODT committers weigh in on releases and their weigh in is taken into
consideration by OODT PMC members (as is done today even with PPMC and IPMC)
6. VOTEs on new committers are approved by 3 +1s of OODT PMC members
   - OODT committers weigh in on new committers and their weigh in is taken
into consideration by OODT PMC members (as is done today even with PPMC and
IPMC)
7. When we're ready (we can even keep the same Incubator checklist), we put
up a board resolution to "graduate" into *true* oodt.apache.org TLP. To me,
ready =
   - we've made at least 1 release (we're close!)
   - we've VOTE'd in a couple new committers (keep those patches coming
people!) hopefully with some diversity in mind, but if we don't get there,
and the committers are still vibrant and healthy, then we move forward.

OODT already has a pretty vast user community and healthy community that I'm
slowing working to get signed up over here in the Incubator. We've had
contributions from folks from Children's Hospital (thanks guys!), interest
from other NASA centers (welcome Mark and others!), and some new folks from
JPL stepping up and earning merit (welcome Cameron, and thanks for popping
up Rishi!).

Is that your take too?

Cheers,
Chris