oltu-dev mailing list archives

From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: ASF license and copyrights
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2012 08:56:01 GMT
On 11/01/2012 20:10, Simone Tripodi wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> thanks for your feddbacks, that shows our lack of legal knowledge (ans
> legal language as well :P).
>
> Anyway, what I was pointing, is that code inside Amber contains
> copyrightsowned by an external entity, not the authors neither the
> ASF.
>
> So, I'll take your suggestion to submit that case to our legal office,
> in order to avoid any misunderstanding.

Perhaps you could confirm whether it is normal to move the copyright to
the NOTICE file?  (I had that impression, perhaps incorrectly).

There is also the inconsistent use of the @author javadoc notation and
SVN variables - what is the lists opinion about how this should be handled?

> Have a nice day, all the best,
> -Simo

> http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
> http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
> http://www.99soft.org/
>

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 5:51 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I don't think this is accurate.
>> On Jan 11, 2012, at 6:32 AM, Simone Tripodi wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all guys,
>>>
>>> this mail just to discuss that code donated and imported to the ASF
>>> repository is copyrighted (and trademarked!) only by the Apache
>>> Software Foundation, so no other copyright/license/trademark can be
>>> applied.
>>
>> This is definitely wrong.  The original author(s) retain copyright to their work.
 By contributing it to an apache project they _license_ it to apache.  Apache has a copyright
over the aggregated work.

>>> You committers, indeed, in order to contribute to Apache Amber, signed
>>> a CLA that assign all rights under the Apache License so that nobody
>>> can make a claim afterwards anything for their contributions.
>>
>> The cla indicates that you are licensing your contributions to apache, but you retain
copyright over your work.

>>> So please join me on replacing all contributed code with wrong headers
>>> with the ASF one, otherwise we cannot release Amber at all.
>>
>> My impression is that the original contributors need to be the ones to remove other
license/copyright/notice legal information.  It would be best to ask on legal-discuss before
making any such changes.

--

[key:62590808]