oltu-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: ASF license and copyrights
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2012 16:51:02 GMT
I don't think this is accurate.
On Jan 11, 2012, at 6:32 AM, Simone Tripodi wrote:

> Hi all guys,
>
> this mail just to discuss that code donated and imported to the ASF
> repository is copyrighted (and trademarked!) only by the Apache
> Software Foundation, so no other copyright/license/trademark can be
> applied.

This is definitely wrong.  The original author(s) retain copyright to their work.  By contributing
it to an apache project they _license_ it to apache.  Apache has a copyright over the aggregated
work.

> You committers, indeed, in order to contribute to Apache Amber, signed
> a CLA that assign all rights under the Apache License so that nobody
> can make a claim afterwards anything for their contributions.

The cla indicates that you are licensing your contributions to apache, but you retain copyright
over your work.

> So please join me on replacing all contributed code with wrong headers
> with the ASF one, otherwise we cannot release Amber at all.

My impression is that the original contributors need to be the ones to remove other license/copyright/notice
legal information.  It would be best to ask on legal-discuss before making any such changes.

thanks
david jencks