oltu-dev mailing list archives

From Antonio Sanso <asa...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: tidying-up the SVN space
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2012 13:43:35 GMT
Hi Simone
On Jan 12, 2012, at 10:40 AM, Simone Tripodi wrote:

> Ciao Antonio,
>
>> How about set up a wiki page listing the goal to be achieved in order to achieve
a new release
>> (and maybe another one for the graduation, if not too early :S)?
>>

> sounds the way to go, feel free to setup pages on the Amber wiki[1]!

unless I am doing something wrong it looks like I still do not have any write/edit permission
on the wiki.

> agree as well for determining a checklist for the graduation and keep
> in mind 1) a stable release and 2) community development are crucial
> issues ATM, IMHO.
> If there isn't an active community contributing on the project, even
> if the code is mature, I'm worried it wouldn't be accepted as TLP.

+1

>> +1 also for me with a little but...
>> I do agree with you that the 1.0(a) stuff is kind of obsolete at this point.
>> I would do an exception for the client part though. Namely IMHO it would be nice
to have a nice common API for the client that would work with both the 1.0(a)/2.0 implementation.
>> How does it sounds?
>
> I think it would have been more sense at the early Amber days on late
> 2010 when we started, today implementing a deprecated protocol sounds
> more an academical exercise rather then providing a useful library.

If I am not completely wrong some major sites (e.g. twitter) are still using version 1.0a
of the spec.
For this reason, if we want to gather any crowd to use Amber it would be good to support at
least client side also version 1.0a otherwise people would be oriented to use some other Java
libraries (e.g. Scribe).
The effort to do it for the client module should not be to huge, but there is obviously an
overhead. But again just my 2 cents :)

Regards

Antonio