ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>
Subject Re: Which is the current stable version
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2019 09:55:41 GMT
Hi Sebastian,

Inline...

Le 30/07/2019 à 22:35, Sebastian Dill a écrit :

> Hello everyone,
>
> Hopefully everyone is having a great week.
>
> For some time now, I have been thinking about implementing Ofbiz as my back-end system
for my business.

> When I go online to the official website, it shows the latest stable version is 16.11.
>
> Now I know that this does not include the latest functionality, for example related to
the BIRT Reports etc.

> I also saw that the trunk has the branch for 17.12 & 18.12 & the trunk itself.
Can I use one of these as well?

Yes of course, just that they are not yet officially released. But like all supported branches
(R16, R17 and R18) we backport bug fixes as much as
possible there.

> Which one would you recommend? Sorry for this perhaps “stupid” question, but I am
new to this entire programming arena J, not to mention Java itself.

I'd go with the latest version (R18). It's one  that will give you less work when upgrading

> My whole concern is regarding updating the entire program. I just don’t want to constantly
have to do that to get a working version.

Yes that's it. If you pick R18 you can "svn update" from time to time, or pick bug fixes you
are interested in. Then when the R18 is released you
should be able to switch to it w/o much worries

> Also, I would like to use the entire accounting module and need it to be on point. Perhaps
this makes the version selection easier?

Not really, there have not been much changes since R16 there. But of course the latest has
always the latest updates... Because it's easier for us
(committers) to backport on most recent release branches.

HTH

Jacques