ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Jacopo Cappellato <jacopo.cappell...@hotwaxsystems.com>
Subject Re: A point in the right direction
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2018 11:34:56 GMT
On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 12:03 AM Shane F. MacIntyre <
macintyres@d33.courts.mi.gov> wrote:

> I started looking into ofbiz because I need to create a solution for a new
> regulation we have at work. We are a courthouse and the state has mandated
> that we provide representation for individuals on a daily basis.
> In a nutshell, I need to have a system where a clerk can assign a
> defendant to an attorney. The attorney would then have to provide counsel
> within 36 hours and report back that they had done so. An administrator
> would be able to oversee the process and verify it. Then pay the attorney
> for the counsel. The defendant might have multiple consultations with
> different attorneys/ probation officers/ drug testing facilities over the
> time that the case is active.
>
> I've played around with ofbiz, adding data  using the various ootb
> components and I've tried the getting started tutorial, successfully adding
> the ofbiz demo plugin. That went fine. Now I am trying to figure out how to
> implement a solution. I am thinking that the Project component would be a
> good place to start because I can make a "Defendant"  project and add
> attorney / probation officer / reviewer resources, then an administrator
> could create phases like "Initial Counsultation, Drug Testing, etc"
>
> Does this sound like I am on the right track? Or should I be looking at it
> differently?

Hi Shane,

I think that you are on the right track if you are planning to study how
data is setup by the Project component; I would also consider the "Work
Effort" component and the "Scrum" components as they all use the
"WorkEffort" data model to implement different ways to define/manage/track
tasks execution.
I doubt that any of the above components will fit all your requirements but
reviewing them will lower your learning curve; you may also want to read
some chapters of "The Data Model Resource Book vol 1" by Len Silverstone
because it describes the main concepts that have been integrated in the
OFBiz data model.

As Julian as suggested, I would then create a custom component (that may
extend and reuse any of the artifacts from other components) to build the
ui and processes that are peculiar to your organization.

Kind regards,

Jacopo