ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Julien NICOLAS <julien.nico...@nereide.fr>
Subject Re: A point in the right direction
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2018 09:00:50 GMT
Hi Shane,

I prefer to create a new component to fit my specifications instead of
modifying the ootb component.

Why ? Because if you modify the ootb component, it will be harder to
upgrade the OFBiz version. You'll probably have some source code
conflict and each time you'll want to upgrade OFBiz, you'll have to
manage it.

By creating a new plugin, you avoid this kind of problem. You can just
create a new plugin that the controller include the Project controller,
copy the screen.xml and you have another Project component. Identical.

When you implement specificities, you can replace screens and forms
without modifying ootb component. And you can also use all ootb Project
services, screen, form, etc. already done for your business.

This is the way I prefer to do ;)

HTH

Julien.

Le 07/11/2018 à 19:33, Shane F. MacIntyre a écrit :
> I started looking into ofbiz because I need to create a solution for a new regulation
we have at work. We are a courthouse and the state has mandated that we provide representation
for individuals on a daily basis.
> In a nutshell, I need to have a system where a clerk can assign a defendant to an attorney.
The attorney would then have to provide counsel within 36 hours and report back that they
had done so. An administrator would be able to oversee the process and verify it. Then pay
the attorney for the counsel. The defendant might have multiple consultations with different
attorneys/ probation officers/ drug testing facilities over the time that the case is active.

> I've played around with ofbiz, adding data  using the various ootb components and I've
tried the getting started tutorial, successfully adding the ofbiz demo plugin. That went fine.
Now I am trying to figure out how to implement a solution. I am thinking that the Project
component would be a good place to start because I can make a "Defendant"  project and add
attorney / probation officer / reviewer resources, then an administrator could create phases
like "Initial Counsultation, Drug Testing, etc"